Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Smooth sailing no more!

So, last night I went down to Macon to have Harrison's 1 year old pictures taken at the Picture People. John and Amanda live there so they were able to go with me and help. Then we had dinner together. It sounds simple enough but it really wasn't!

First off the Picture People were in no hurry to take our picture. My appt. was at 6 pm so John and Amanda could come and help me after work. We waited for 30 minutes past our appt. time before they came and got us to get started. I figured we had about an hour before Harrison started getting sleepy. Then the ladies camera wasn't working right. As you can imagine Harrison was getting tired of us moving him all around, not letting him crawl and it was getting close to his bedtime. We finally finished and they said to come back in 15-20 min. to see the pictures on the computer. We came back and waited and waited and waited (at least 45 min). Finally I asked the lady who was helping someone else choose their pictures if I could at least start looking at my pictures and deciding which ones I wanted because I had an hour drive home. She immediately went and got someone (what were they doing this whole time - I don't know!!!) I choose the pictures as quickly as I could (which is not quick thing) and we finally left the mall at 8:45pm!!! We had not eaten (except Harrison) and we were all starving and tired. Harrison and I made it home around 11!


We did get some cute pictures and I got a trilogy framed for his first birthday, but the rest I decided to just order online.


I got into bed ready for a good night's sleep only to be awaken to screaming not once, not twice but 4 times in the middle of the night. Each episode lasting around 20-30 minutes of screaming before Harrison would finally go back to sleep. I decide he must be teething so I gave him tylenol around 3 or 4 (I don't remember it all has become a blur) and he slept until 8:15. He woke up perfectly happy, got up and started playing and smiling right away. Then I notice his left ear has crusty, yucky stuff all in it. I think "it can't be an infection because it is not draining, maybe he just had a lot of wax in his ear" I checked it again 2 hours later and sure enough his ear was draining yellow puss!

So, you may be asking yourself, didn't little Harrison just get tubes in his ears last month?!?!!? That is right - he did! However, these tubes do not prevent ear infections they just allow the infection to drain out through the tube. I am very thankful for the tubes because we do not have to go to the doctor and we can put the anitbiotic drops directly in his ear on the infection.

I am also very thankful that I had already filled the prescription (just in case) so we were able to start the antibiotic drops this morning. Hopefully this will clear everything up. We don't have to go to the doctor unless there is still drainage after 5 days. Please pray that there won't be and that Harrison will be able to sleep better tonight! Thankfully Mike is coming home tonight so he will be able to help out if we have another night like tonight.

Now, I am almost to the end of my venting, and I apologize for this long blog. Today I learned that if your child wakes up with an ear infection and you have had little to no uninterupted sleep the night before you should not go to the eye doctor!

I, of course did and proceeded to spill ALL (every last one) of Harrison's goldfish, puffs and crackers in the floor. Thankfully I was in the Target optical store so I was able to go buy Harrison some more crackers before my exam. Since he wasn't feeling well he cried during the last 10 min. of my exam (even though he was eating the cookies I bought him) Then he wanted me to hold him and he was able to get all of the cookies he had eaten all over my black shirt (not a good color shirt to wear when your child's ear and nose is draining and they have been eating cookies!).

Needless to say I plan on taking a nap this afternoon - albeit a short nap I am sure because Harrison doesn't sleep well with an ear infection - it will be a much needed one none the less!

6 comments:

Meredith said...

Oh, Cassie. Poor little Harrison. And poor you! Didn't John have a lot of ear infections? Sounds like Harrison might be like uncle in some ways! Anyway, I'm so sorry he's sick again, yet so thankful you've got the tubes and the drops to get him better.
Love ya!

Meredith said...

OH P.S. The pictures are great. The expression in the middle pic is PRICELESS.

Cassie said...

That is his "funny" face that he does sometimes when he is excited or wants something or just for fun since people laugh when he does it. YOur mom and Steph saw him do it last week when they gave him his b-day gift.

Meredith said...

It has Mike written all over it!

Jackie said...

Cassie,
I am so sorry for what you and little Harrison are going through. I hate it so he is sick. I hope he will soon be feeling better and that tonight you get a good night sleep. I will say a prayer for you guys.
Love ya, Jackie

Cassie said...

Thank you for the prayers! Mom said when John had so many ear infections she was worried that something else might be wrong with him (which has crossed my mind too) but the doctor told her he was a very healthy boy he just got sick a lot. I think Harrison must be like that too. I am going to talk to my doctor tomorrow b/c I have some questions but I think he will be just fine :)