Today we went back to have Harrison's tubes checked and to have his hearing tested. His tubes are still in there and they look great! There is no fluid in his ears and he passed his hearing test!
I was really impressed with how they did the hearing test for babies. I think being an audiologist might be a really neat job.
We went into the sound proof room. Harrison had to sit on the front of my lap so he wouldn't lean back and get too comfortable. I couldn't make any noise or turn to look at anything she did. She would make some static noises on each side of us. When he turned to look at the noise a TV screen would light up with a cartoon playing (no sound) or a puppet would light up and make some noise. I guess this was to let them know they had heard something. Then the TV screen in front of us would come on so he would look forward again. She did this several times on both sides and the noise was sometimes loud and sometimes very quiet.
When we came out they did a few other tests to his ears and she said everything looked really good. We have to go back in a year to have him do another hearing test using the headphones because she said that was more accurate.
They said by age one Harrison should be saying 1-3 words consistently. He says several things that we think are words but they are not always consistent. He will say them to us, but also say them when he is just playing and babbling ~ but I think he is close!
Here they are:
mama = baa baa (every now and then he will say mum mum)
dada = ga ga (sometimes da da)
ball = buh or vuh
go = go go or gee gee
dog = gee gee, gog or gee gog
yummy or mmm... = mum mum (I thought he was saying mama until I realized he was only saying it when he was eating. Now he says it to me when he is not around food but I am not sure if he means mama or if he is just asking for food! Who knows!!
I am sure he will be getting much better at talking soon! He is REALLY great at screaming just for fun or out of pure happiness (you can't miss us in a store or restaurant)!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh I wish I could see little Harrison, he has sucha little personality! I can't wait for that age!
It really is a lot of fun. But I think you get even less rest than when they were newborn b/c he is into EVERYTHING!!!
I'm so tickled he got the tubes and now won't have so many painful infections! I bet now you'll see a quick difference in his words, too!
Post a Comment