A few weeks ago I was hosting an Usborne Book Party at my house. I decided to make beer bread to go along with some dip and the other refreshments. The beer bread is just a mix that you add a beer to and bake. I had eaten it several times other places but had never made it myself. I had the mix and just needed to buy a beer. Not being a beer drinker, I know very little about it myself so I was a little wary of what to buy or even where to buy it.
After picking Harrison up from school one day, I needed a few items from the grocery store and decided to go ahead and grab those items and the beer while I was out. I had taken a snack for Harrison and Emilee to tide them over until we got home for lunch. As we were shopping, I could tell that Harrison was very tired and he was whining as well. I walked down the beer/wine isle only to discover that you could not buy a single beer at the grocery store. I would have to run to the gas station on the way home. By the time we got to check-out, he was beginning to fall apart and I should have taken this as my cue to go home but I had to get the beer so I could make the bread and have it cooled before the party that eveing.
Once we got to the car, I told Harrison we needed to make one more quick stop and then we would go home. In the gas station parking lot, I called my SIL to see what kind of beer she had used when she made her bread. I thought this would make my trip much quicker to know what I was looking for so I could just run in and run out.
As we walk into the store, a very tired and hungry Harrison sees an ice cream display and asks if he can have an ice cream (I have to stop here and say that normally Harrison does great when I tell him "no" about something in a store, however on this day that was not the case!). I quickly tell him no because he has not eaten lunch and I remind him again that we just need ONE thing. I quickly head to the back of the store to grab my ONE item so we can leave. Once I get to the back I scan the shelves and cannot find the brand of beer my SIL had mentioned! She told me other kinds can make it not taste very good so I didn't want to grab just any old beer. I pull out my phone and make another quick call to see if she has ever used another brand of beer.
Well, unfortunately this was the point when Harrison could take no more. He begain whining and crying that he was hungry and he was tired and he wanted to leave. I give him "the look" because I am on the phone trying to figure out which beer to purchase and Harrison loses it! He then throws himself in the floor (again I must stop and say he has NEVER does this in a store before - we have had mild crying or a small meltdown but NOTHING to this calibre!). I am horrified! First he is on a gas station FLOOR and secondly I am picking out a gigantic beer (they don't have single regular sized beers in the gas station, in case you were wondering) in a gas station with 2 children, one of which is pitching a fit in the floor!!! You can only imagine how I am feeling at this point!
I quickly snatch Harrison up by the arm and whisper all the sweet motherly things I can think of in his ear (ie. "You better get off this floor right now and quit acting like that!" "If you do not get it together I am going to spank you when we get to the car!" etc., etc...) I am "losing it" as well! We begin to make it to the front of the store. Me with a gigantic beer in one hand, baby on the other hip and screaming 3 year old with spaghetti legs being dragged behind me with my other hand!
Then I must pay. I begin rehearsing in my mind what I will tell the man at the check out - "I am having a children's book party tonight and am getting this to make beer bread for the guests." No that sounds stupid! "I'm sorry he is acting like this! He is tired and hungry but I just needed to grab this one thing..." Nope - even worse!
I decide to say nothing as I wrestle with my wallet, Emilee and the screaming boy. I drop coins, count and recount the change (I didn't want to put $1.76 on my debit card when I knew I had a dollar and change in my wallet - looking back another stupid idea!) and finally find what I need to pay for the beer. I am sure the man behind the counter thought I was a lunatic - but I wouldn't know - I did NOT make eye contact!
As we left I noticed lots of people's feet in the line behind me (again, no eye contact). I can't imagine what they were thinking as well!
But, oh well! I bought my beer, made my bread and it was great! Although, I can't say I will be making beer bread again anytime soon. I need a few months to live that embarrassing motherhood moment down first!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I am dying here! My mom had me buy one beer for the same exact thing a long time ago. (She wouldn't go.) Of course, I was mortified I had to buy the gigantic bottle! But your story takes the cake. I'm sure the gas station clerks think nothing of it, though. :)
Hey Cassie! I guess we all have our days where everything seems to go wrong. :) Don't worry about it. Jacob and I frequently talk about how Harrison is one of the most well-behaved children we have ever met. We'll definitely be calling you up for advice when we have children :) We've made beer bread several times and have experimented with many different types of beer. We found that the paler the beer the better. I don't know if they have Trader Joes out there, but their store brand works great (but according to my dad tastes awful to drink).
Thanks for the laugh. I am sitting here laughing my head off!!! Can't you just see yourself standing in that line watching this lady with a screaming kid and a baby in her arms buying a beer. Can't you imagine what you would have been thinking? You should have turned around and said..."Now you see why I need this beer!. hahaha I know you were mortified but you'll never see those people again and just don't go back to that gas station...LOL. Love this story and so will Harrison and Emilee one day!!!! Love ya, JM
Oh and Like Sarah said....Harrison is a very well behaved little boy. They all have meltdowns once in a while....they're just little! (Jonathan says I say that toooo much)
I am SURE that clerk thought you deserved that big beer! Hahaha, that is hilarious! I love it!
It was pretty funny once I got home and relaxed and started telling everyone at the book party :) Yes, I am sure those ppl thought I needed that beer after seeing how the kids were acting! Thanks for saying that about H too! We think he is a pretty sweet little boy too - most of the time :)
Sarah, we are supposed to be getting a Trader Joes here soon! I will try their brand next time I make it!
Cassie--I'm catching up on my blog reading and just saw this post. I am laughing OUT LOUD! Thanks for sharing!! :)
Post a Comment